Position: Gender advisor
Company: ECO Consult
Period of Performance: Long Term
Base of Operations: Amman – Jordan
The Jordan Public Financial Management Activity (PFMA) aims to work in partnership with USAID/Jordan and the Government of Jordan (GOJ) to improve Jordan’s revenue system and enhance their budget management process. PFMA will build the capacity of the Jordanian Ministry of Finance and other government institutions to modernize the revenue collection system, encourage compliance—including making it easier for taxpayers to comply with tax obligations—upgrade public procurement management, and improve budget planning, preparation, and execution. Key objectives include: 1) improving the revenue raising system; 2) streamlining the budget management process; 3) optimizing public expenditure management; and 4) implementing crosscutting Public Financial Management reforms such as interventions to address COVID-19. Through a combination of technical assistance, capacity building, and facilitation, tangible and measurable results are expected during the anticipated five-year duration of the activity. The PFMA is implemented by DAI in association with ECO Consult and other partners.
The Gender Advisor will be responsible for mainstreaming the Gender Responsive Public Financial Management Strategy and building the capacity among the team for incorporating gender into their work, both in terms of content and processes. S/he will coach Project senior leadership to integrate the plan into all technical work. S/he will deploy the newly introduced Gender Responsive Public Financial Management (GRPFM) model launched by Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA) program in early 2020 to assess and report on the strengths and weaknesses of GRPFM practices in each of the phases of the budget cycle. S/he will report to the organizational performance lead and will support the objectives and plans of the different components related to gender issues. The implementation of gender related issues shall focus on the use of different tools, processes, skills, and principles for fulfilling the needs of the project counterparts and the introduction of new improvements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Gender advisor will be responsible for the awareness-raising (among women and
men, private and public sectors); data collection, research, analysis and policy advice; compliance procedures and enforcement mechanisms; capacity building and continued regulatory reform that will lead to gender mainstreaming. His/her key duties and responsibilities shall include:
- Conduct literature review and analysis of gender and PFMA related materials/ studies in Jordan with specific focus to the visions in the new National Strategy for Women 2020-20251 and the National Youth Strategy 2019-2025
- Develop PFMA’s strategy for gender in fiscal policy and PFM practices, and in developing and implementing all deliverables. in fiscal institutions.
- Review and recommend key strategic actions to better integrate gender aspects across the project/counterparts’ plans.
- Develop study protocol and data collection instruments for the gender assessment and formative study of barriers based on GRPFM related to fiscal institutions.
- Follow up on the implementation of the assessment results and recommend improvement actions related to gender issues.
- Building the capacity among the project team for incorporating gender into their work, both in terms of content and processes.
- Working closely with key stakeholders, such as the Jordanian National Commission for Women (JNCW) and the Ministry of Youth to promote the integration of the gender perspective in technical activities in partner fiscal institutions.
- Conduct regular structured discussion with other projects/ ministries to work on gender, women empowerment, and youth, exchange information and network on providing technical assistance when needed.
- Work closely with universities to build specific programs for building the capacity for Public Officials working in fiscal institutions and other line ministries.
- Collaborate with universities to create an academic GRPFM module for undergraduate and graduate students for internship and future recruitment.
- Develop and design gender related training and communication materials and toolkits.
- Form a “gender champion technical work group” among fiscal institutions to facilitate work, promote related changes and assure their implementation and sustainability.
- Identify and manage project gender integration needs or improvements.
- Continuously report on the results of the strategy implementation, work groups, networking, etc.
- Provide technical input upon request to advise the monitoring, analysis and reporting of the gender-related indicators per Project MEL plan.
- Perform other related duties assigned by the Organization Development Lead as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, social studies or public administration; higher education degree preferred in social work, women’s studies or similar field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in social work-related projects with a focus on gender.
- Experience developing gender strategies, trainings and tools that can be integrated into PFM interventions and within service delivery.
- Capacity to use data and assessment results/recommendations to strengthen and improve the gender component of the project.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple stakeholders to accomplish a common goal and on different projects at the same time.
- Ability to interview and facilitate focused group discussions as well as work collaboratively and build consensus among fiscal institutions and the project components.
- Strong communication, facilitation, and problem-solving skills.
- English and Arabic fluency.